History of Springfield House
In the historic town of Celbridge, records show Springfield dating from 1763, making this property over 250 years old.
In 1801 the house was leased to James Langrishe and his heirs. This family is mentioned by Aidan Higgins, who was also born in Springfield, in his book, ‘Langrishe Go Down’, (which BBC made into a film, adapted for TV). Morgan Sheehy used this a basis for his restoration of the house. Springfield is also noted in 'Ancestral Voices - The Big House in Anglo-Irish Literature' by Otto Rauchbauer.
Morgan and Libby Sheehy purchased Springfield in 1989 spending two years restoring the main house and grounds. With the sudden death of Morgan in 1992, Libby and their six children made the decision to keep their home by running it as a "Bed and Breakfast", which remains open throughout the year.
Celbridge has much to offer any visitor: from the home of Speaker Connolly of Castletown House, Muligan’s house, Lyons Estate, The Mill, The Abbey - where Jonathan Swift’s beloved ‘Vanessa’ Esther Van Homrigh lived and so much more, beautiful gardens, golf courses, fine dining, all within an easy reach.